Which “kingdom” are we fighting for?
This is an issue I wanted to avoid getting into. You know the scenario: Famous person says something anti-gay and people throw a fit on both sides.
I’m referring to A&E’s dismissal of Phil Robertson.
As extensions of Christ, we’re not told to be battling for our country, for morals, or against a group of people. We’re told to be salt and light (Matt 5:1-16). Wage the war against Satan’s schemes – not the people deceived by them (2 Cor 10:3-4).
We must maintain an eternal perspective in situations like this. What’s at stake isn’t America. It’s the eternity of those who haven’t yet been saved. In the end Duck Dynasty, Phil, A&E, conservatives, liberals, and America itself will be gone. The Kingdom will stand forever. How much time and energy do we spend:
- In deep prayer over the GLBT community that the veil of deception be lifted (Matt 5:44).
- In deep prayer for ourselves that God may show us how to love our neighbor as we would love ourselves.
- Learning apologetic and scientific arguments of why the Bible is true. So that when the skeptics make fun of our Book (as they are today), we can refute their skepticism with something other than “I just believe.”
- Learning scientific, biological arguments to why homosexuality isn’t natural or normal. If someone doesn’t believe what the Bible says about anything in the first place, throwing a verse out of Leviticus isn’t going to change their mind. (Check out NARTH for more information)
- Getting indignant over the sheer state of lostness of this world; of people in the U.S.A. Not because they have views we don’t like, but because what’s at stake is much bigger than a nation.
- Seeking the Kingdom of God first in our own lives, before anything else going on in our lives.
I don’t agree with A&E’s decision either. Phil, and the rest of us, have a right to speak about our beliefs. I really don’t agree with how the Body of Christ spends so much concern on America and our culture when we’re to be about the already existing and unstoppable Kingdom of God.